The Trades House trustees consists of 13 Deacons and 1 Visitor of the Maltmen, plus the members of the Associated Trades etc. To identify the Deacons of each of the Incorporated Trades, they wear a chain of office at appropriate dinners and functions.
Bakers' Deacons' Medal. The Gold Chain and Medal worn by " the Deacon " on public occasions and at meetings of the Trade prior to 1898 originally belonged to John Graham , Esq., Deacon of the Incorporation in 1801; Captain and Adjutant of the Trades Battalion of Volunteers; Deacon Convener of the Trades, 1817-1818; Superintendent of Police and City Marshall of the City of Glasgow. The Chain was subscribed for by the greater number of the members, and presented to Mr. Graham as an acknowledgment of his services to the Incorporation. The presentation took place at a Dinner to him in the Black Bull Inn on 12th March, 1829. The Medal was presented to him by the Commissioners of Police for his very efficient services to that establishment. On Mr. Graham's death the Chain and Medal were sold, and fortunately purchased by Mr. Robert Paterson, then Collector of the Incorporation, who subsequently handed them over on being paid the amount for which he had purchased them. The Chain and Medal were then repaired, the original inscription being erased and a new one substituted. They were then, on 12th September, 1834, presented to Mr. Paterson, then" the Deacon," to be worn by him and his successors in office in all time coming. The letters on the links of the Chain together then read, "Deacon of the Incorporation of Bakers"; and on the front centre link was the following inscription :- "Presented by David Gilmour, Esq., in behalf of himself and other Members of the Incorporation of Bakers in Glasgow, To Robert Paterson, Esq., present" Deacon, and his successors in office, 1834." Upon the obverse of the Medal were the Bakers' Arms, and upon the reverse the City Arms, surmounted by the Graham Coat of Arms. The Chain, which originally cost 100 guineas, and the Medal, which originally cost £25, were made by Mr. Peter Aitken, Goldsmith, Glasgow. Together they weighed one pound nett. Mr. Paterson purchased them for £51 9s. After they had been altered and repaired they weighed rather less than one pound. In 1898, by which time the Medal had fallen into a state of disrepair, the Chain was lengthened and the Medal renewed and enlarged, and the Deacon, Mr. John Bilsland, asked the permission of the Trade to bear the cost of this. There was a natural desire on the part of the Members to retain as far as possible the associations of the old Medal and Chain, and in the renewal the design of the old Medal has been faithfully adhered to and the metal of it has all been worked into the new Medal. The additional links' were utilised for the addition of the letters of the last two words of the inscription, which now runs: "Deacon of the Incorporation of Bakers of Glasgow. " The Medal and Chain, so renewed, were formally handed over at a Meeting of the Incorporation which took place in the Trades Hall on 24th March, 1898, when ex-Deacon John Ure, formerly Lord Provost of the City; as the oldest Deacon of the Incorporation, on behalf of the Trade, accepted the new Medal and Chain and reinvested the Deacon with them as his badge of office.
Coopers Deacons' Chain.. Incorporation of Coopers Deacon’s Chain: The chain was commissioned in 1854 and was made by an Argyll Street jeweller called William Clark Shaw and cost £105. The length of the chain was modified in 1885. The Chain consists of a series of links, in barrel shape with an oval medallion attached. The medallion is embossed (not sure of technical term but basically I mean in raised form) with two coats of arms. On one side there is an outer band of laurel leaves and acorns and then an inner band which is inscribed “INCORPORATION OF COOPERS 1569 GLASGOW” and the centre has the coat of arms of the City of Glasgow. The other side has an outer band of leaves and acorns but also with several small motifs including sheaves of wheat, barrels, birds, at the top is the lion rampart and at the bottom a cross of St Andrew?. The inner band has the inscription: INCORPORATION OF COOPERS 1569 GLASGOW” and the centre has the 1924 coat of arms of the Incorporation. At the top of the medallion is a badge with the 14 sheaves representing the Trades House and the badge is supported by winged angels blowing trumpets and above the badge is a barrel. The date 1569 relates to the year the Incorporation received its own Seal of Cause, becoming a separate craft.
Cordiners Deacons' Chain. This is the 3rd Cordiners' Deacon's Chain. The 1st Chain was noted in the minutes of 1798. In February 1881 it was used partly to fund a new chain. Unfortunately during the early 1990s the chain was stolen and a new (present one) was manufactured and is worn by the Deacon at all functions.